Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Valentine's Day? Perhaps not.

I'll admit that Valentine's did hold a certain allure around the time I was about 16 or 17. I'd run to the post box at my house hoping there'd be a card or a note from a secret admirer who lived in the neighbourhood. Neither of those things ever happened and perhaps it scarred me for life when it came to anticipating romance!
Now that I'm all grown up and married, Valentine's seems to get lost admist the business of day to day living - picking up the laundry, thinking about dinner or wondering what movie to watch this weekend. The very fact that restaurants are just bursting at the seams with romantic couples looking into each other's eyes over tapered candles just seems to kill the romance of it for me. I tend to picture romance as being something unique that two people share and on Valentine's Day, everyone seems to be doing almost exactly the same thing as everyone else.As a friend said - maybe its time to think out of the chocolate box!
A few years ago, Dear Husband and I ran around the entire city looking for a place to have a romantic dinner coz both of us had thought the other had made dinner reservations. Anyway, we ended up frazzled and annoyed . After that night we made a pact that Valentine's was all about what we felt for each other . We ended up with a couple of McDonald's burgers eaten by candlelight at home. Let me tell you that it was one of the most romantic dinner's we'd ever had.
For me, Valentine's Day seems to have taken on a life of its own - and the real winners seem to be restaurauteurs and florists who feel that Valentine's is an opportunity to commit daylight robbery by charging RM299 per table and RM199 for a bouquet
Lest I sound like the Anti Romantic though, I must say there is something sweet about Valentine's. I agree with Trixie - chocolates, flowers and champagne can't hurt in a world where cynicism seems to be the order of the day but I don't think I'll ever convert to being a pro Valentinist.

No comments: