Friday, March 24, 2006

Stupid Girls

Have you heard Pink’s latest hit – Stupid Girls? Trixie is so taken by it that she’s got it as her caller ringtone. I'm taken by it too and the message that its sending out. For those who haven't heard it yet - it’s about how girls (famous or otherwise) these days seem to think that acting dumb is ever so cute. When it comes to celebs, I’m talking about people like Paris, Nicole and Jessica (Simpson not Alba) who are running around in impossibly high heels and dieting themselves into oblivion. (There are whisperings that some Malaysian women seem to be afflicted by this disease and I'll leave you to decide which ones they are)

Some of Pink’s lyrics really hit home: Maybe if I act like that/ That guy will call me back/ What a paparazzi girl/ I don’t wanna be a stupid girl/ Baby if I act like that, flipping my blonde hair back/Push up my bra like that, I don’t wanna be a stupid girl.You go Pink! But sadly, judging from various message boards about the song, I’ve discovered that many girls out there think that Pink is fat and jealous of the likes of Hilton, Ritchie and Simpson. Apparently, that’s why she’s written the song. Sigh! If you ask me, this is proof that the Stupid Girl Syndrome is spreading faster than bird flu.

As I mention in the column tomorrow, I don’t consider myself a feminist. Anyway, the word feminist seems to have taken on really unfortunate connotation (Admit it the moment you read "feminist" you pictured a butch looking woman wearing a man's suit, sporting a few chin whiskers and plotting to exterminate the existence of Man Kind). But it doesn’t take a champion of women’s rights to recognize that this new Stupid Phenomenon is liable to cause genuine damage.

Perhaps these Stupid Girls are actually Smart Girls who get rich by pretending to be stupid. But the reality is that young girls are being influenced into thinking that being dim is the way to a man’s heart, a big bank account and worldwide fame.
Well, acting stupid and making a career out of it may have you laughing all the way to the bank but where’s the fun in that when everyone you meet on the way there is laughing at you? A question that, no doubt, even a Stupid Girl can answer. Now that’s what I call a no-brainer!

10 comments:

floey..fluer said...

Hey caring about ones weight or fat does not immediately make one a stupid girl. Girls who do care bout their fat percentage do also care bout other stuff, have their on opinions and do actually have brains. No we don't just play dumb and cute for sakes.

Faery said...

Oh god, here we go again with people who take everything too seriously and way waaaaay too literally hehe Trish and Trix - looks like your readers just don't understand satire?...

Aku Di Sini said...

somegirl wants attention by acting stupid.Or she think by being stupid can winthe heart of man she want. Or she behave in a way that make her act stupid so she can be accepted in a particular group. Or she behaving like that just to protect herself from the suffering she endured.

Whatever the reasons, girls, please know your value to yourself and your life. Think hard about your self esteem!

yuanxing said...

normally i flipped past through your column.. but this particular topic interested me so much i had to read and give a comment... i really agree with the stupid girls syndrome that are floating around.. it used to be bohsia girls but the world is changing. if you go to places where teenagers nowadays hangout.. the syndrome is easily detected.. one of my closer relatives seems to be catching this syndrome and a prevention rather than cure is definitely needed.parents especially need to be forewarned of their girls spending and television habits. i watched a few episode of the simple life before and i can practically feel my IQ getting lower and lower as each minute of the show passes by. come on, gals.. get a grip becoz stupidity gets nowhere

Anonymous said...

I never really read your column before...until this one...i guess i have to half-agree and half-disagree...
I am 13 years old and I quite tall...
I think people are too prejudiced against these kind...and judge a book by its cover. Sometimes a girl can be in the middle...but some of my friends are like what you describe...In my church...most people consider me a stupid girl...but not that extreme...just because i like wearing tank tops and skirts means i am making the best of what i look like and fell comfortable in..and i laugh a lot and talk a lot..but thats because i enjoy the company of my friends...
anyway...i just wanted to voice my opinion...
i think the community is too prejudiced...

Anonymous said...

Thanks Trisha for pointing out the Stupid Girls at last. I just cannot understand why these stupid girls are so popular. I hope its a passing fad.

Anonymous said...

I think Paris and Jessica are cute but they might have a bad influence on young girls as you pointed out. It gives me something to think about!

xinying said...

hahaha...i love that song...btw,its annoying how some people act dumb and 'cute" to get a guy =.="

Anonymous said...

ROTFLMAO. Are you suggesting Jessica Alba is smart by adding that disclaimer?!

Anonymous said...

i'm always think i'm stupid when making stupid mistake or embarassing myself in public.But I guess there are so many stupid gurl where the definition of stupid has changed nowadays.
I even once,thought that being a 'paris wannabe'will attract man.
But that's totally rubbish!!
Being someone else is the hardest thing to do.Just be yourself and learn a lesson from your mistake.JUST GET REAL!!^o^