Friday, April 07, 2006

Stories about men

While I was writing my column for tomorrow, I decided to talk to a few girls to get other opinions. I mentioned The Toothpaste Issue to them and they all agreed. The smaller details of house and hearth still fall back on the women.

But that's already been discussed in the column. Talks with the girls, however, brought up plenty of other stories about the silly idiosyncracies of men when you co-habit. Like:

- the habit of squeezing out the last dregs of toothpaste instead of going out to get some more.

- using our shaving cream when they've run out of theirs (and then complaining that it smells too girly!)

- getting cross when we "accuse" them of not contributing to the house. One of the girls I spoke to said she even tried not cleaning the bathrooms because her husband had gotten upset when she mentioned to him that he never cleaned and adamantly insisted that he would clean it. It never got cleaned, of course.

- using an excessive amount of your expensive face creams. My own mother has complained that while you are only supposed to use a dot's worth of this particular serum, my father had been squeezing out a line of the stuff that spanned the length of his palm.

- taking longer to get ready than we do. It is totally untrue that women take ages to get dressed. Almost all the women I've spoken to bemoan the fact that they're usually the one's standing around the front door waiting while their partners agonise over doing their hair.

- the complete inability to remember things. My boyfriend pointed out, "You know, we don't leave lights on and forget to things on purpose to irritate you. We just forget." Girls the world jump off their apartment balconies screaming in frustration at the fact that their boys are highly able , intelligent human beings, capable of cutting deals worth millions and yet, totally incapable of remembering that the socks go in the laundry basket, not the floor.

The boyfriend (and many other male friends) said that women are just being too petty. I say that it's not petty anymore when the small petty things add up to an every-hour, every day affair!

Then again, we do love them all to bits. We wouldn't keep putting up with the old flat toothpaste tube if we didn't! Perhaps it makes life more entertaining?

6 comments:

Alice Teh said...

After reading this, I felt really, REALLY lucky. I'm totally the opposite of my husband. He's the one who does the cooking, cleaning, washing (I do the dishes, though...).

Another thing about him is that he's super organized - domestically. He'll place the dishes in a certain way; likewise the toothpaste, parts of the juicer (after I washed them), etc. IF I place the parts differently (we're all unique and different, aren't we?), he'll start adjusting them until they're 'in order'.

Oh well, in order to live harmoniously, I will let him do whatever he wants. After all, he made my life so much more pleasant and saved me from doing all the housework!

I'm one spoilt wife, yes I am... *laughing gleefully*

LadyVanity said...

Same here. I do feel fortunate for finding a wonderful boyfriend who is none of what that was stated in the post! He is thrifty and spends alot of his free time helping his mother with the chores. He is also very organised with time management. As we both still live with parents, he is also understanding that I am kept under a tight leash and does not mind waiting for me on dates.

On top of that, I have a responsible father who sets out helping my mom and doing the housework the very instant he gets home from work!

Yup. I suppose I'm one of them lucky ones too... *grin*

ShannyK-L said...

You know I've seen a French comedy some time back. The guy ask his gf if she has anything for the dry spots on his face. After picking up several of her expensive stuff (whih gf says CAN NOT USE!) , he finally picked up a tube which gf says he can use. So after applying it to his face, bf ask what type of cream is it, since it has a very nice smell and texture. GF says,"Oh, of course its good! Its the cream for my feet!!"

My hubby & I are both organised in different ways. Areas like the kitchen, my desk, my sewing/stitching stuff and the toilet is really out of bounds for him. I like my things the way they are sometimes (some clutter but not messy) and he like his area the way it is...

But I did ask him about the "Toothpaste theory". He said only selfish guys does that! I guess when guys do care deeply about something/someones wellbeing, they'll get right to it without remainding. So ask the "Toothpaste theory" question to your guy if you're unsure!

BTW, he's the one doing half of the reminding (when I forget or get to "messy" for his taste) and shopping (essentials) around the house.

Trixie said...

Where do all you girls find these totally accommodating men who contribute??!!! hehe... count your blessings!

melvin said...

Strangely though, there are increasingly such guys to be heard of these days. Talking about metrosexualism phenomenon flooding the male species huh. But then, that may be another story.

Thing is, I for one, is dead meticulous about everything i do. Am too organised, I supposed at times. I love keeping things in order and love doing all the cooking (if I have the time that is).

And it's no wonder that not many girls like cooking these days. After all, men make the best chefs the world has seen.

I sometimes wonder though, whether is this normal or not. I feel kinda out of place as a guy. I don't watch football, F1 and stuffs which most guys would like. And if and I say IF I do meet the special someone, I'd totally strongly refute the "Male Chauvinism" propaganda championed by most girls...simply put it, I'll be super nice in an unobtrusive manner. But I realised that I've been camping on the wrong side. I'm unlike other guys. So I'm thinking of defecting. Or should I? I wish to be cruel and inconsiderate at times. Irony. Coz I don't see a point of being nice. After all, nice pretty gals seem to always end up with big BAD "ah beng" like boys, isn't that right? Prove me wrong...

Trixie, something worth pondering and possibly to write about?

Jughead said...

Dear Trixie,
Your stuff progressively reads like out of a competition in vain conversations from a kitty party of bored housewifes who all went for the rich hunk in the neighbourhood when 18.
Grow up! Don't look for justification to your misery in other people! Find your own G-spots! Caring are those couple which have a regular, frequent polyorgasmic life! If you and your charming friends are attracting the wrong type of gentlemen, may be there is something wrong with you girls. And pls try to abstain from generalizing about men based on what your dad did to the toothpaste tube! That would equate to me concluding based on your intellectual regurgitations that most women in KL are sexually frustrated! Chill, Trixie! Look deep inwards before you stare outwards!
Jughead