Thursday, July 20, 2006

Time of your life

I've been in a really blue mood today. I just discovered that a friend suddenly passed away.

My husband and I both knew him and although I didn't see him very often it was so much fun when we did. He was always full of life and was never at a loss for words. He had razor sharp wit and could come up with hilarious oneliners even after a long night at the bar when everyone else would find it hard pressed to walk a straight line much less maintain witty repartee.

He was young as well and I cannot begin to imagine what his family is going through -my heart goes out to his wife.

This has got me thinking about all the petty things that seem so important to us but which suddenly shrink into oblivion when a real tragedy occurs. Is it really that bad if someone cuts in front of you in traffic? Will your life be destroyed if your husband forgets your anniversary?

It shouldn't take something heartbreaking to jolt us into realizing what's really important in life - the people you love and the time you spend with them.

I saw this friend of mine about three months ago and I can't believe I'll never see him again. It just goes to show that the last time you see someone may actually be the last time.

Green Day said it well in Time of Your Life:

Another turning point;
a fork stuck in the road.

Time grabs you by the wrist;
directs you where to go.

So make the best of this test
and don't ask why.

It's not a question
but a lesson learned in time.

It's something unpredictable
but in the end it's right.
I hope you had the time of your life.

1 comment:

Trixie said...

*hugs hugs hugs* Hope you are feeling betta, Trisha. My biggest condolences to you. I can understand how it must be - I had a friend at uni who died in his sleep. It's scary to think that he was in supposedly the safest place he could be (in bed, tucked under the covers, sleeping next to his girlfriend) and then he had heart failure. He was also the fittest, healthiest person I knew. Goes to show eh - we're not as immortal as we think. The Buddhists are always talking about Death and a lot of people say it's such a bleak, depressing way of looking at life... but I think it's when you really start to see death as it is (i.e. we're all headed that way!), it makes living and life that much richer an experience. Oh dear, sorry, this has turned a bit preachy. Hope you're feeling betta tho. *hugs* Lots of love xxx