Friday, August 18, 2006

Santan and Show offs

Don't you just hate Show Offs? Show Offs have got to be one of my pet peeves (the other major one being people who are at the front of the queue at a traffic light but take so long to move that when the light turns green they're the only ones who get through before it turns back to red again..grrrr!)

Show Offs are absolute bores because they keep talking on and on about themselves plus they're perpetually playing the "One Up" game - anything you do and anything you've achieved, they're somehow One Up over you.

For instance, if you've climbed Mount Kilimanjaro in 4 days, they'll tell you they did it in 3 and a half. If you've found a place that sells fresh seafood they've found one that sells even better stuff etc, etc.

The reason I'm going on about this is coz I recently met such a person here in Dar es Salaam. I regretfully report that the Show Off in question is a Malaysian.

I'm thousands of miles from Malaysia and am starved for the Malaysian 'lah' in conversations so I was initially delighted to meet someone who knows that 'sambal belacan' isn't an exotic tropical disease. I was so disappointed to find that this person is a particularly annoying type of Malaysian.

Looks like the only way for me to touch base with my home country, here in Tanzania, is to either hang out with the annoying Malaysian or use Buatan Malaysia Powdered Packet Santan (the only Buatan Malaysian product I've come across so far).


Posted by Picasa


I rather think I'll choose the santan!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd choose the santan too!