Friday, September 01, 2006

The Endless Plains

I thought there'd be a power cut today so I sent out one-liner emails to everyone at top speed this morning but it turns out that the power is still on. Anyway, it might go at any moment so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

If you're interested to know - there are power problems in Tanzania coz the country runs on hydroelectric power and there was a terrible draught for two years. So now Tanesco rations power. Being the HMG (High Maintenance Girl) that I am, all this translates to not being able to use the hairdryer when I want to! Okay - that sounds terribly selfish but its still true! Sigh!

As I mentioned, I've just come back from a safari. We visited the Serengeti, Ngorongoro Crater (which is essentially a collapsed volcano and a world heritage site) and Lake Manyara (which is a gigantic lake with tons of birds).

The HMG in me was appalled at the thought of all that driving around we'd have to do (albeit with an experienced guide) in a 4WD with no air-conditioning (horrors!). Plus the roads are SO bad that I thought my boobs would be jolted of my chest and I had to check to make sure they were still intact! But all that faded away the instant I saw the plains.

The Serengeti (which means endless plains in Masai language) isn't called that for nothing. The savannah seems to stretch to the end of the world.

Husband and I were lucky and managed to see the Big Five namely the elephant, lion, leopard, rhino and African buffalo. Unfortunately the leopard is an elusive cat and refused to get anywhere near us. Ditto the rhino and the cheetah so we had to use binoculars to see them from afar ( our zoom lens is crap so we have no pictures of the leopard or the rhino and only one of the cheetah).

Fortunately the lions have no such inhibitions and were frolicking right beside the tires of our car. We got quite close to elephants, giraffes, zebras, hippos and of course wildebeest.

I watched jealously as a Mat Salleh in a neighboring car pulled out a zoom lens so long that it practically reached the other end of the Serengeti. Husband and I had a chuckle together when we thought of what he was compensating for!

Still, we did manage to get some good pics with our teeny tiny camera so here's a few:

Pak toh Zebra-style!





Wildebeest: The biggest buffet ever




Big or small, a kitty cat is still a kitty cat




If you're worried about having a big arse - wait till you see this!


Posted by Picasa


At the risk of sounding nauseatingly soppy I have to admit that the beauty of the animals and the land were so breathtaking that I felt tears in my eyes at times.

I'm now inspired to go for other 'adventure' holidays despite being a HMG. My mum always says that the lions look like their manes have had a wash and blow dry at a nearby salon.

So, I'll make like a lion and go for the windswept look. Who needs a blow dryer when the wind whipping through your hair in the open plains is just as attractive?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry bout my weird comment in the other entry! I actually didn't read properly and thought you were Trixie.

Loved seeing your photos, was in Botswana a year ago and the experience is so breathtaking.

Trisha said...

Which weird comment? I didn't think any of them were weird so no worries : )
Glad you like the pics. Botswana is also supposed to be beautiful - you must have had a great time. Isn't Africa just fab?

XMOCHA! said...

Hey Trisha,

I am so blur- didnt even realize you are not in the country.. hope to catch up with you when you next visit. Hugs.

:-) SM