Friday, March 30, 2007

Haute Couture

Haute couture: French for "high sewing" or "high dressmaking"; refers to the creation of exclusive custom-fitted fashions - definition by Wikipedia

I have always dreamed of owning haute couture - perhaps a Dolce and Gabbana or better yet, an Oscar de la Renta

I never dreamed that I actually would end up owning what is technically considered haute couture although it's neither a D&G or a de la Renta original. The outfit is straight out of Africa and designed by Asia - that's the designer's name by the way, Asia Idarous.

My sudden leap into the world of 'high dressmaking' happened a few weeks ago when I attended a luncheon that was enticingly called "A Taste of Tanzania". It was organised by a group of expats who belong to an international charity organisation and a fashion show by a local designer was one of the highlights.

Alright, a Dar runway is by no means a New York, Paris or Milan runway. Hey, it's not even a KL runway but what the heck - it's a runway. After one year in Tanzania, trust me, any runway is a good runway!

I didn't know what to expect so I tried not to expect anything. The bad news was that it was hotter than hell under the tents in the garden where the event was held. The good news was that the garden was gorgeous and the food and fashion part of the event was beyond marvelous.

If you don't believe me, here's the proof:
Fab food....


and high fashion Tanzanian-style...

This was my purchase (for the record, that's not me in the picture. Trixie panicked thinking that I had inexplicably begun looking like the local people). I literally got it straight off the runway.


I haven't worn it yet. Trixie, who's passion for fashion is widely known, has given me her seal of approval and is already thinking up places for me to wear it in KL.

No comments: