Thursday, April 19, 2007

Totally Random Thoughts

First Random Thought:
As a kid, I used to be really confused by the saying "when the going gets tough, the tough get going." I actually thought it meant that when things got hard, the tough get up and leave but I never managed to figure out where they actually went. I know, I wasn't the brightest bulb on the shelf!

Eventually I learned the real meaning of the phrase but it's never been one of my favourites. I prefer my own version : "when the going gets tough, the smart start leaving". Sounds cowardly but at least you keep yourself out of trouble!


Second Random Thought:
I have no idea why short versions of some names have nothing to do with the full version.

The whole point of shortening someone's name is to do just that - shorten it. Logic would dictate that short versions should be literally a shorter form of the full name likeTrisha/Trish and Trixie/Trix.

But did you know that the short version of William is Bill (Clinton's full name is William Jefferson Clinton)? How stupid is that? Why can't it just be Will? Even worse - the short version of Richard is Dick! Who in their right mind would give up Richard (which is quite a nice name) and start answering to Dick? Everyone knows it's another word for a part of a man's anatomy that usually does most of the thinking for the man.



Guess what? I just realized that Monica Lewinsky had her way with Will Clinton's Richard! Okay, I'm totally getting too random! Time to get some sleep!

2 comments:

bobert said...

bob is short for robert too!
u'd think it be short for bobby but nooo...

Trisha said...

Ha ha - Bobert! I love it!!!