Monday, June 18, 2007

Owen and Mzee

I was watching Oprah recently when this picture came up on screen.




Isn't that one of the cutest photographs you've ever seen in your entire life? The story behind it is even cuter.

Apparently the baby hippo, Owen, was left homeless and orphaned after floods hit Kenya in 2005. Rescuers picked him up and housed him in a nearby wildlife sanctuary. The enclosure Owen ended up in already had another inhabitant - a 130 year-old-tortoise called Mzee (which means old man in Swahili).

The two became fast friends within days and are together all the time.

What really struck me about the story is that two animals, who don't have anything in common, can get along so well.

This might sound ridiculously naive but I've decided that if Owen and Mzee can be friends then anyone can.

From now on, everytime I'm ready to strike someone off as 'not friend material' or just plain annoying, I'm going to think of Owen and Mzee.

No comments: