Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Self Praise is No Praise

I know I justified my long silences between posts by insisting that well-thought out blogging is better than fly-by-night kind of blogging but I've decided that I was talking a fair amount of crap.

Let's face it, blogging, at its core, is about recording thoughts and thoughts can range from the deeply profound to just plain stupid.

So, here I am getting off my high horse with a meaningless thought I had today.It's about cooking or to be more accurate, cooking programmes.


How in the world do chefs who appear on TV (and I include the greats like Jamie Oliver and Nigella Lawson) manage to praise their own cooking without flinching? They all savour their food in front of the camera and proclaim with much enthusiasm, that it tastes "delicious" or "gorgeous" or "simply divine." They do this in almost every episode and without fail I think how silly and slightly bizarre they sound!

I know, they can't very well put the food they've just prepared into their mouths, spit it out and scream "that was absolutely ghastly!", even if it tastes like rotting garbage. After all, they are trying to get people to try their recipes, watch their shows and buy their cookbooks.

Still, I can't help but feel that they're a little too quick to applaud themselves when they do it. Why don't they get someone else to taste the stuff and congratulate them fabulous cooking instead? It might still seem fake but at least it wouldn't be self-praise.

If I were to do what they do, I'd have to get in front of a camera, read aloud from this blog and proclaim at the end that my writing is "simply divine!" How absurd!

image courtesy of galleries.lycos.co.uk

No comments: